COUNTER-TERRORISM FINANCING CONFERENCE
The Empire Hotel and Country Club, Jerudong
Tuesday, 9 Rabiulawal 1439 corresponding to 28 November 2017
1. Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam (AMBD), through the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU), has organised Brunei Darussalam's first Counter-Terrorism Financing Conference on Tuesday, 9 Rabiulawal 1439H corresponding to 28 November 2017M at the Empire Hotel and Country Club, Jerudong.
2. The event began with the recitation of Surah Al-Fatihah and was followed by welcoming remarks delivered by the Guest of Honour, Yang Mulia Dato Seri Paduka Awang Haji Hamdan bin Haji Abu Bakar, Deputy Minister at the Prime Minister's Office. In his opening remarks, YM Dato Seri Paduka Haji Hamdan underscored the importance of countering the financing of terrorism in Brunei Darussalam, and reiterated the main objective of the Conference which is to improve awareness and understanding of terrorism financing issues among relevant stakeholders, towards increasing Brunei Darussalam's compliance towards international counter-terrorism financing standards.
3. Also present during the event were Co-Chairs of the National Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism Committee (NAMLC), Yang Mulia Dato Paduka Awang Ahmaddin Bin Haji Abd Rahman, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Finance, and Yang Mulia Awang Mohamed Riza bin Dato Paduka Haji Mohamed Yunos, Permanent Secretary at the Prime Minister's Office; as well as other members of the NAMLC.
4. A keynote presentation was delivered by Mr. Alistair Sands from the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre, which covered regional terrorism financing risks that Brunei Darussalam faces, as well as outcomes of the recent Counter-Terrorism Financing Summit held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
5. The Conference consisted of three panel sessions delivered by international experts in the field of counter-terrorism financing, domestic intelligence and law enforcement agencies, as well as representatives from the private sector. Themes include the counter-terrorism financing regime in Brunei Darussalam, the impact of social media and technological developments on terrorism financing, and the role of the private sector in counter-terrorism financing.
6. The Conference was attended by 200 participants including Government officials, AMBD, and representatives from the private sector.
Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam
Date: 9 Rabiulawal 1439/ 28 November 2017
Ref No: AMBD/COMMS/2
Download Malay version here
Download English version here
Copyright © Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam
All Rights Reserved