AMBD Mental Health Awareness Programme
Ministry of Finance and Economy Building,
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Thursday, 1 November 2018 corresponding to 23 Safar 1440
1. In conjunction with World Mental Health Day 2018, Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam (AMBD), in collaboration with the Health Promotion Centre (HPC), Ministry of Health, Brunei Darussalam, organized the AMBD Mental Health Awareness Programme for all AMBD officers and staff. The Programme is also a part of Ministry of Health's i-Mind Campaign to promote mental health awareness in workplaces around the country.
2. World Mental Health Day was observed for the first time on 10 October 1992. It is a day for global mental health education and awareness about mental health issues globally and to mobilize efforts in support of mental health. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a negative working environment may lead to physical and mental health problems, increased absenteeism or presenteeism, reduced productivity, and increased staff turnover. Thus, this may adversely affect the organization, employees' family, as well as social interactions.
3. During the programme, YM Nor Syahmun binti Hj Matassan, one of the few Clinical Psychologists in Brunei Darussalam, introduced what mental health entails –while focusing on the 2 most common mental health illnesses in the country. This included symptoms, when to seek help, and where to seek help should one experience an elongated period of mental distress. The topic of work-life balance was also discussed during the programme. YM Nor Syahmun highlighted that, while work-life balance may differ for each individual, it is important for individuals to establish what is important to themselves before being able to attain work-life balance. By understanding work-life balance, employees can attain good mental health, and thus can contribute positively and productively to the organization and country.
4. According to YM Hajah Nurhuaida Fakhriah binti Haji Damit, Head of AMBD's Human Capital Development, it is hoped that by organizing the programme, AMBD employees can better understand their mental health status and the importance of ensuring their mental health is in check. YM Hajah Nurhuaida Fakhriah also shared that data collected from the mental health survey by HPC for all attendees during the programme will aid in the enhancement of AMBD's human resource policies towards caring for the well-being of AMBD employees and the organization.
5. The programme, which will run over a span of 2 days, also included a Mental Health Awareness Exhibition, and Mental Health Screenings.
Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam
Date: 24 Safar 1440 / 2 November 2018
Download Malay version AMBD Siaran Akhbar - AMBD Mental Health Awareness Programme
Download English version here AMBD Press Release - AMBD Mental Health Awareness Programme
Copyright © Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam
All Rights Reserved