COMMEMORATIVE NOTES IN CONJUNCTION WITH
50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CURRENCY INTERCHANGEABILITY AGREEMENT
BETWEEN BRUNEI DARUSSALAM AND SINGAPORE
Wednesday, 12 Syawal 1438 corresponding to 5 July 2017
1. His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar 'Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien, The Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, and His Excellency Mr. Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore jointly launched new $50 notes in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary of the Currency Interchangeability Agreement between Brunei Darussalam and Singapore today, 12 Syawal 1438 corresponding to 5 July 2017, in a ceremony held at the Istana, Singapore.
2. The limited edition $50 polymer notes with the theme "Flourishing Growth" are issued by both Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam (AMBD) and Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
3. The Brunei Darussalam and Singapore $50 commemorative notes feature the same design elements and layout and is predominantly gold in colour to signify the golden jubilee. The 50th Anniversary logo of the Currency Interchangeability Agreement is a key feature on the front of the note. It shows a unifying flower motif comprising of a prominent flower found in Brunei Darussalam and Singapore's national flower, the Simpur and the Vanda Miss Joaquim respectively, in full bloom. This and the radiating flower petals symbolises the flourishing growth friendship between the two nations.
4. A unique element in the note is the see-through, colour-shifting window security feature that depicts Brunei Darussalam's Istana Nurul Iman and Singapore's Istana. A portrait of His Majesty Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam is shown on the Brunei Darussalam note, while the Singapore note features a portrait of Singapore's first President, Mr Yusof bin Ishak.
5. The back design of the note portrays the close collaboration between Brunei Darussalam and Singapore in the areas of defence, education and tourism. The bilateral defence cooperation is depicted by military personnel from the Royal Brunei Armed Forces and the Singapore Armed Forces in their ceremonial uniforms. Collaboration in education is represented by students from both countries engaging in cross-cultural learning and exchange of ideas. Brunei Darussalam's Ulu Temburong National Park, the "Green Jewel of Brunei" and the Singapore Botanic Gardens, a UNESCO World Heritage site, are also featured, signifying the importance of the Agreement in facilitating tourism between the two countries.
6. There will be five types of limited edition numismatic sets sold by AMBD in conjunction with the celebration:(i) Identical Numbered Notes Set
This set contains one $50 Brunei and one $50 Singapore commemorative notes, sharing the same serial number with the CIA prefix. This set will be sold at B$300 each.
(ii) 3-in-1 Uncut Sheet
This set contains one uncut sheet of three $50 Brunei commemorative notes. This set will be sold at B$400 each.
(iii) 8-in-1 Uncut Sheet
This set contains one uncut sheet of eight $50 Brunei commemorative notes. This set will be sold at B$1,000 each.
(iv) 40-in-1 Uncut Sheet
This set contains one uncut sheet of forty $50 Brunei commemorative notes. This set will be sold at B$4,500 each.
(v) Coffee Table Book with a set of B$50 and S$50 commemorative notes
This limited edition coffee table book highlights elaborate descriptions of the commemorative notes' designs elements and contains a set of B$50 and S$50 commemorative notes. The coffee table book will be sold at B$138 each.
7. The general public can start purchasing these sets from 2pm on Wednesday, 5 July 2017, while the coffee table book will be available on Friday, 7th July 2017, on a "first-come-first served" basis for as long as stock lasts at AMBD Currency Gallery Gift Shop, BCMB Building, MOF Complex, Commonwealth Drive, Jalan Kebangsaan.
8. AMBD and MAS will also be issuing commemorative notes, in which the general public can exchange for both the Brunei $50 and Singapore $50 notes. Each set will be accompanied by a complimentary folder to commemorate the occasion, and is available from branches of Baiduri Bank, Bank of China, Hong Kong (BOCHK), BIBD, Maybank, RHB Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, UOB, and Perbadanan TAIB from Friday, 7 July 2017 onwards.
Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam
Date : 12 Syawal 1438 / 5 July 2017
Ref : AMBD/COMMS/1
Download Malay version here
Download English version here
Copyright © Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam
All Rights Reserved